Hi guys! Thank you to all that have already taken my reader survey. The responses I’ve already gotten have been SO helpful and I love hearing about what YOU love. If you haven’t already taken the survey, I’d seriously appreciate it!
After looking at the reader surveys that have already come in, my brain is a bit all over the place. I want to take a bit more time to digest everything and I’ll report back to you soon on what you guys said.
In the meantime, today I’d thought we’d catch up and just chit-chat today.
I’m starting to get into a groove with my new schedule: teaching early mornings and going to school at night. You’re probably sick of hearing me talk about this. For me the total change of routine is still a shock to my system. Also I had NO sense of routine this summer, so it’s a pretty mondo change in comparison.
Waking up at 4:15AM twice a week has required some adjustments. For starters, I have to go to bed much (much, much, much) earlier than I usually would. It’s something I’m still working on since I’m naturally a night owl.
Some things I’ve been doing to help:
- I’ve been hyper aware of my afternoon caffeine consumptions and try to avoid caffeine after 3PM.
- I start winding down to go to sleep as early as possible (which is sometimes not very early because I’m getting home from class or an event).
- I pop a melatonin most nights. I’m not a doctor and might stir up some opinions by saying this — but yes I take melatonin most nights. Obviously consult your doctor before taking any medication. I’m on the fence about whether or not melatonin really works, or is just enough of a placebo to make me think I’m getting sleeping. Either way I don’t care as long as I fall asleep at a reasonable hour.
- The last thing I do before I go to sleep is READ. I’ve been on a Young Adult Fiction BINGE lately. While I usually love me some self-help books, all I want these days is a fun story to unwind with at the end of the day. I started Taylor Jenkin Reid’s latest novel, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo last night and I’m already hooked.
- I know I could be better about staying OFF my phone leading up to bedtime — it’s hard for me since it’s sometimes the only time I get to catch up and text Jeremy. He’s student teaching for grad school this semester and on the go all day.
The biggest adjustment for me [besides going to bed earlier and waking up mad early] has been eating dinner at like 4:30PM. I usually have to leave my apartment at 5PM on school nights [Monday + Tuesday]. I’d eat dinner after class [around 9PM] BUT I also should be asleep by then. So senior citizen dinner it is! It’s not so bad, though, I try to also eat lunch mad early.
This morning I went to Body Space Fitness for my workout since I don’t teach on Tuesdays. They recently revamped their schedule and I’m a HUGE fan of the changes. Not that I wasn’t fan of the way things were BUT the new Tuesday class focuses on strength. I loathe cardio and prefer to lift up heavy things and put them down again. I’ll choose strength over cardio ANY day.
My workouts as a whole have been pretty routine. Besides the 10 classes a month I get on my Fitreserve membership, I’ve been saving money and taking advantage of free classes at CorePower.
On the days I teach I’ll stick around to take either a yoga sculpt class or C2 [basically a level 2 vinyasa yoga class]. Besides those classes, I’ll use Fitreserve to go to Body Space Fitness, Uplift and Bar Method once a week.
Part of me is freaked out that this new, more “low key” workout routine is going to ruin my body. It’s scary to admit this as I preach preach preach about fitness beyond aesthetics. But I’m also 27 years old and TALK and TEACH fitness for a living. People will think what they want about my body anyway.
The truth is, I’m being ridiculous. I’m still MOVING MY BODY in a way that feels good to me. I also no longer enjoy high intensity workouts all the time like I used to.
More on that in an upcoming blog post.
Fridays have become my favorite day of the week. Friday = Fun Day since I don’t teach or have school. I sleep ’til 9AM (hallelujah) and then wake up and go to Bar Method. Or at least that’s what I’ve been doing the last few weeks.
Getting to sleep in feels like the most luxurious thing after a week of early wake-ups.
Also, dudes, I know if you work a traditional 9-5 you’re probably giving me some serious side eye right now. Because lucky me I can sleep in on Friday’s (okay and Saturday and Sunday). I won’t pretend my life is harder OR easier than someone working 9-5, it’s just different. Sometimes my days are really, really, really long. Other days I get to sleep late. This is what my life is at the moment and it’s working for me and where I’m at right now.
Today is my brother’s 30th birthday! Happy Birthday, Cody!
I feel like EVERYONE in my life turns 30 this year. It started with my friend Leah in December. Leslie turned 30 in May, my brother today. My BFF from college David (y’know, I go visit him in LA!) turns 30 in January. I legit forgot that *I* wasn’t turning 30 this year.
AND unrelated to ANYTHING, I went to my cousin’s [well, second cousin once removed?] Bar Mitzvah this weekend. I’m really happy to report back that Bar Mitzvahs have not changed AT ALL since the last one I attended 10 years ago. Thirteen year olds are still MAD awkward and love party games.
It was awesome to be in a room with SO many of my family members. I felt like I needed a family tree to explain how I was related to everyone.
Okay, dats what I got for you today! Tell me what’s been going down in your life lately in the comments– new schedule? New workout routine? Anyone go to a Bar Mitzvah in the last 10 years?